Tuesday, March 3, 2009

WINDSOR CASTLE!

This is by far one of the most fun castles our group has visited. Windsor Castle was stop 2 of our day trip! I was nervous that I wouldn't make it, but we took it slow and I did just fine, I was exhausted by the end... but it was worth it! The Queen resides in Windsor on the weekends. They currently house royal guests often. We watched the Changing of the Guard and it was so much fun because I was front row (until this grandma asked me if her kids could go in front of me so they could see). I was about an arms length away from the soldiers or "beef eaters" as they are called. The band played music, including the theme to Austin Powers. It was fun! We saw the Queens doll collection and doll house that is complete with electrical and plumbing! I of course joined a tour guide group. We got to tour the house where the royal guests stay. It was really pretty and I kept thinking how Grandma Irene has the same decorating style haha~ I went to the church/cathedral on the property. Every Royal has been buried there since Queen Victoria. The queen's parents are buried there and grandparents. When (heaven forbid of course) the Queen passes, she will be buried in this church as well. It was really a fun castle and I'm glad I felt well enough to tour around!
Abby was sneaky and took this picture of the chandelier in the royal house
Me, Abby and Sarah outside of where the Queen resides on weekends

This is where they keep the records of anything and everything taken. There are actual written letters from pass royalty. This is high security and no one is allowed in. Also they added the top level to this building not too long ago, because they wanted it to be seen from afar.

Abby and Me at the Chuch/Cathedral

so happy


look at that beast of a knife! It was in front of my face!


This was such a fun Changing of the Guard... I was so close to the "action"

Thier uniforms always make me giggle... they're shoes are like goofy's
Very exciting/awkward moment. I love being a tourist! I was afraid to get too close

No comments: